When you are admitted to the hospital you need only to bring a few simple
things for your hospital stay. These might include:
- non-skid slippers
- detailed list of the medications you are currently taking, including any
of the over the counter medications you routinely take
- hearing aides
- contact lenses or eyeglasses
- clothes for going home
Hospital gowns will be provided.
Please click here for a printable checklist that details what to bring
to the hospital (English/Spanish)
What not to bring
Please do not bring the following:
- credit cards
- large amounts of money
- personal electrical appliances
If you do have valuables, please have your family member or friend take
them home for you. If this is not possible, notify your nurse who will
make sure the valuables get placed in the hospital's safe.
Surgical Patient Information
To do list (Before Surgery)
- You should be in the hospital at 2 hours before surgery time
- Notify the surgeon of any change in your physical condition, i.e. colds,
- Bring a list of any medications you are taking, along with the dosage and
number of times a day it is to be taken.
- Please bring in your own comb, brush, tooth paste and toothbrush
Please do NOT:
- take fluids or eat any food after midnight
- bring valuables (cash, credit cards, jewelry, watch, wallet, cell phone,
- wear make-up, nail polish or pins in your hair
Please follow all directions provided to you by your physician.
After your operation:
If a condition arises during your surgery and the operating doctor feels
that admission to the hospital is best for your recovery, then he or she
will admit you as an inpatient following your surgery.
If you are discharged on the day of surgery:
- Arrange for a responsible adult to accompany you home.
- Do not take public transportation without another adult.
- Do not ingest alcoholic beverages or take medication not specifically prescribed
for at least 24 hours.
- Do not drive a car or operate machinery for 24 hours.
- Important decision making should be delayed for at least 24 hours.