Immunization Records for School

As summer winds down and the school year approaches, your mind is probably turning to your child’s back to school checklist. Whether your child is simply returning to school, entering school for the first time, transferring schools, or participating in a new athletic event or other extracurricular activity, there may be specific health requirements.

Vaccination records are usually required for kids upon entry into:

  • Child care / day care
  • Kindergarten
  • Preschool
  • School
  • College
  • Post-high school education / training
  • Summer camp
  • International travel / study abroad

There is currently no nationwide organization keeping track or individual vaccinations. You will need to find copies of this information yourself. It’s important to store your child’s immunization records in a safe place. If they somehow become lost or damaged, you will have to reconstruct these immunization records on your own. If you cannot locate the lost information, it may be necessary for your child to repeat doses of some vaccinations.

Where Are My Child’s Vaccination Records?

Here are some places you might look for when searching for immunization records for your child:

  • Local vaccination registry – Some cities and states have immunization registries with information provided by caregivers. Visit this page on the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) website to find your local immunization record registry.
  • Previous providers – Speak with your previous healthcare providers to find out if records are available. If your former pediatrician or other care provider retired, he / she may have sent old records to a medical record storage company.
  • School – Former schools attended by your child, including high school and college, may have immunization records on paper.
  • Employers – Your child’s previous employers may have a copy of his / her immunization records on file. If your child was in the military, a copy should be found on file there.

If you are locate your records, ask your healthcare provider or local clinic to document the records officially as well as in the state / local immunization registry. If you cannot do this, put all the information on an immunization record card, which you can request from your state health department or locate here. Be sure to fill the card out thoroughly.

This article contains general information about medical conditions and treatments. The information is not advice and should not be treated as such. The information is not intended to replace the advice or diagnosis of a physician. If you have any specific questions about any medical matter you should consult your doctor or other professional healthcare provider.