Is there anything as debilitating as a tension headache? For those who
are unlucky enough to suffer from them, the answer would be a resounding
no. Tension headaches are extremely common, and can be so painful they
completely ruin your productivity for the day. Unfortunately, they only
seem to get worse with stress, lack of sleep, or failing to properly nourish yourself.
While tension headaches are often brushed aside as something people just
have to deal with, they can leave you in a lot of unpleasant pain and
discomfort. Learning what your personal triggers are is the best way to
prevent tension headaches from occurring in the first place. If you find
yourself suffering from a tension headache, no matter what measures you’ve
taken to prevent it, there are a few remedies that may help relieve your pain.
The following are tried and tested tension headache remedies:
- Over-the-counter pain relievers, such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen
- Stretching, relaxing, and breathing to relieve any stiffness in your shoulders or neck
- Applying essential oils, such as peppermint oil, eucalyptus, or sage to
your areas of pain and giving yourself a temple massage
- Staying hydrated
- Getting enough sleep
- Drinking herbal teas such as chamomile, ginger, and dandelion
- Applying a hot or cold compress to your forehead or base of your neck,
depending on which provides you the most relief
This article contains general information about medical conditions and
treatments. The information is not advice and should not be treated as
such. The information is not intended to replace the advice or diagnosis
of a physician.
If you have any specific questions about any medical matter you should
consult your doctor or other professional healthcare providers.